[Fwd: Re: Book]

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Fwd: Re: Book]

Martin Davis

Actually I talked to Tyler a couple of years ago, when I was first
thinking about a book and he had just finished his book. He was the one
who warned me that a book was a HUGE undertaking and was likely to
consume a full year of life... 8^)

Hence my wondering about partnering with someone, so it would only take
6 months of life from two people....  8^)

@Michael: thx for the link to the Pragmatic site.  They sound very
encouraging.  Now all I have to do is to write 20 pages of the book to
show them...   8^)

I'll keep thinking abou this...

Sunburned Surveyor wrote:

> Martin,
>
> I think the idea for a book on JTS is great! You should talk to Tyler
> Mitchell at the OSGeo, who has some experience with publishing books
> on geospatial topics. Let me know if you want his e-mail.
>
> I'd be willing to help review any material you and your eventual
> partner put together on a JTS book. If you decide to go with a
> self-publishing option like Lulu, I can help set-up the layout for a
> book in something like Scribus.
>
> I hope things will work out for a book! I'd definitely buy a copy.
>
> Landon
>
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Martin Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>> Mike?  You mean Michael Bedward?  It would certainly be motivating to have a
>> partner to write with...
>>
>> And yeah, Wrox would be good, or there are some other publishers as well I
>> think.  JTS for Dummies?  JTS in Action?  Essential JTS?
>>
>> I'm game if someone else is keen to collaborate...
>>
>> Martin
>>
>>
>>
>> Lee Goddard wrote:
>>    
>>> Martin Davis wrote:
>>>      
>>>> No book yet unfortunately...  I did approach O'Reilly at one time, but
>>>> nothing came of it.  It would be nice to have for sure...
>>>>        
>>> Nice? Essential! This is such a powerful and well-supported library, it
>>> deserves a book. O'Reilly are good (I'm from Perl), but there are others:
>>> Wrox sprigns to mind.
>>>
>>> From watching the list for a while, you and Mike would seem to be a good
>>> pair to write it, no?
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> jts-devel mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/jts-devel
>>>
>>>      
>> --
>> Martin Davis
>> Senior Technical Architect
>> Refractions Research, Inc.
>> (250) 383-3022
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> jts-devel mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/jts-devel
>>
>>    
>
>  

--
Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect
Refractions Research, Inc.
(250) 383-3022




--
Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect
Refractions Research, Inc.
(250) 383-3022

_______________________________________________
jts-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/jts-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Fwd: Re: Book]

mbedward
Hi Martin

> @Michael: thx for the link to the Pragmatic site.  They sound very
> encouraging.  Now all I have to do is to write 20 pages of the book to show
> them...   8^)
>

I'd be more than happy to comment on anything you write. I don't have
any experience with writing a book, other than watching colleagues
labour over their own book projects (and yes, it is a BIG task), but
I've written many papers, articles, presentations etc and done a lot
of scientific reviewing and editing.

Another nice thing about the Pragmatic model is that once you get most
chapters up to draft stage you can put the manuscript up as a 'beta
book'. People can then make an advance purchase which entitles them to
get each manuscript update, and the final book. They can then submit
comments, errata and suggestions via the publishers site for you to
work with.  I've recently did this myself with Terence Parr's new book
about ANTLR...

http://www.pragprog.com/titles/tpdsl/language-implementation-patterns

Readers comments on the manuscript go to this page...

http://www.pragprog.com/titles/tpdsl/errata
(it was a much longer list while the book was in progress)

You have the advantage of many proof-readers plus you can assess and
adjust your assumptions about the level of knowledge and areas of
interest of your audience.

Michael
_______________________________________________
jts-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/jts-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Fwd: Re: Book]

Paul Selormey
> Another nice thing about the Pragmatic model is that once you get most...
I was going to suggest e-book when I read the thread, but the
Pragmatic model is essentially that.
If it is not going to be a general purpose book on Geometry/Topology
with JTS as the backing library, then the audience is limited - about
half are already here on the mailing list so that could give you an
idea of the target.
If you put in the production cost of the paperback, then you will be
able to have a view of the profit margin.
An e-book can give you a better bargain with the publisher (you, if you like).
The Pragmatic model could provide a better idea on the market, you can
then decide whether to go paperback or stop there.
The problem there is the buyer does not get any discount (as from the
resellers).

If profit is not a major factor, though, as in most of the old
O'Reilly books (I do not think, they are still doing that), then you
have little to worry about.

The problem with computer software books is that they are dated by the
time it is published, so most publishers now want it ready in a
maximum of 4 months. The e-book can easily be updated to the latest
version of the software.

Best regards,
Paul.

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Michael Bedward
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Martin
>
>> @Michael: thx for the link to the Pragmatic site.  They sound very
>> encouraging.  Now all I have to do is to write 20 pages of the book to show
>> them...   8^)
>>
>
> I'd be more than happy to comment on anything you write. I don't have
> any experience with writing a book, other than watching colleagues
> labour over their own book projects (and yes, it is a BIG task), but
> I've written many papers, articles, presentations etc and done a lot
> of scientific reviewing and editing.
>
> Another nice thing about the Pragmatic model is that once you get most
> chapters up to draft stage you can put the manuscript up as a 'beta
> book'. People can then make an advance purchase which entitles them to
> get each manuscript update, and the final book. They can then submit
> comments, errata and suggestions via the publishers site for you to
> work with.  I've recently did this myself with Terence Parr's new book
> about ANTLR...
>
> http://www.pragprog.com/titles/tpdsl/language-implementation-patterns
>
> Readers comments on the manuscript go to this page...
>
> http://www.pragprog.com/titles/tpdsl/errata
> (it was a much longer list while the book was in progress)
>
> You have the advantage of many proof-readers plus you can assess and
> adjust your assumptions about the level of knowledge and areas of
> interest of your audience.
>
> Michael
> _______________________________________________
> jts-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/jts-devel
>
_______________________________________________
jts-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/jts-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Fwd: Re: Book]

Stefan Steiniger
In reply to this post by Martin Davis
Hei Martin,

i - I like your proposal "JTS Topology Suite essentials"

ii - not sure one should go really straight for a book - with respect to
the smalle circle of people. At least e-book is better then directly
paperback. I also wonder if it would make sense to take the c++/GEOS
people in the boat to increase the likely readership

iii - I would still assume it will be about a year or so to get
something like this done (with all of us having jobs).

iv - as Michael B, my experiences are rather in writing papers, but I
wrote at least one/two primer (foundations ofo location based services,
and overview articles on FOS GIS). Maybe we can develop the (learning)
objectives together first?

v - how about going through the chapters of M de Berg, O Cheong, M van
Kreveld, M Overmars and checking those for relevance- applicabilty of
JTS to construct a possible outline? Because it may be even useful to
show what JTS implements of the "theory" shown there.

vi - is it more to be a user guide, more stress on how-to's, or more
educational (i.e. theory and implementation and assessments/exercises -
as done in the Foundations of Location based services thing:
http://www.geo.unizh.ch/publications/cartouche/lbs_lecturenotes_steinigeretal2006.pdf
)

vii - do you think it may be usefull if you make a list of people that
could contribute or no JTS in depth on a level close to you. Then,
asking those people directly may be a big help. (because who really
reacts on open calls...)

my 2 cents - have a nice long weekend
stefan
_______________________________________________
jts-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/jts-devel
Loading...