LineMerger question/problem

Theodor Foerster
Hi,
I am using LineMerger, to remove pseudo nodes from a waterpipe network.
My intention is to remove any nodes (degree = 2) and merge the two
affected linestrings. I thought that LineMerger would be the right tool
to use, but somewhat the LineMerger also closes lines, thus nodes, which
have a degree of 1 are now connected to other nodes with degree of 1.
Thereby the cul-de-sacs are removed completely. So is this behaviour
intended, when adding a complete network to the LineMerger, that it also
connects the cul-de-sacs of the network?

Help is highly appreciated.

Best regards
        Theodor

ITC, Enschede
Department of Geo Information Processing PO. Box 6 7500 AA  Enschede the
Netherlands
International Institute for Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
Chamber of Commerce: 410 27 560

E-mail disclaimer
The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

Re: LineMerger question/problem

Martin Davis
That doesn't seem right.  If a node truly has degree 1, LineMerger
should not snap that node to any other node.  LineMerger does not move
nodes, it simply joins them if they are coincident.

A picture might help to shed some light on the problem - as would a
simple test case.

Theodor Foerster wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using LineMerger, to remove pseudo nodes from a waterpipe network.
> My intention is to remove any nodes (degree = 2) and merge the two
> affected linestrings. I thought that LineMerger would be the right tool
> to use, but somewhat the LineMerger also closes lines, thus nodes, which
> have a degree of 1 are now connected to other nodes with degree of 1.
> Thereby the cul-de-sacs are removed completely. So is this behaviour
> intended, when adding a complete network to the LineMerger, that it also
> connects the cul-de-sacs of the network?
>
> Help is highly appreciated.
>
> Best regards
> Theodor
>
> ITC, Enschede
> Department of Geo Information Processing PO. Box 6 7500 AA  Enschede the
> Netherlands
> International Institute for Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
> Chamber of Commerce: 410 27 560
>
> E-mail disclaimer
> The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

RE: LineMerger question/problem

Theodor Foerster
I uploaded 2 pictures of the original
(http://geoserver.itc.nl:8080/wps/original.png) and the resulting merged
lines (http://geoserver.itc.nl:8080/wps/mergedLines.png).

I am not sure, what you mean by testcase. I could post a WPS request and
the URL to the process and you could play around with it. Is it that,
what you mean?

Thanks for your efforts.

        Theodor

No, what I meant was post a test case written in Java which calls the
JTS LineMerger class with an input which produces the unexpected behaviour.

If this is embedded in some WPS server there's not much I can do to
debug it.  I can say one thing - it seems *very* unlikely that the new
lines which appear in the final image are created by the LineMerger
algorithm.  I have no idea where they might come from.

Theodor Foerster wrote:

> I uploaded 2 pictures of the original
> (http://geoserver.itc.nl:8080/wps/original.png) and the resulting merged
> lines (http://geoserver.itc.nl:8080/wps/mergedLines.png).
>
> I am not sure, what you mean by testcase. I could post a WPS request and
> the URL to the process and you could play around with it. Is it that,
> what you mean?
>
> Thanks for your efforts.
>
> Theodor

Yes, ok. As I host the WPS myself, I do have access to the process code.
Basically it is pretty simple. At first there is a FeatureCollection and
then:

                FeatureCollection fc =
(FeatureCollection)layers.get("FEATURES");
                Collection c = new ArrayList();
                for(Iterator iter = fc.iterator(); iter.hasNext();) {
                        Feature f = (Feature) iter.next();
                        c.add(f.getDefaultGeometry());
                }
                LineMerger lm = new LineMerger();
                lm.add(c);
                Collection mergedLineStrings =
lm.getMergedLineStrings();

Then the code sorts this back into a new FeatureCollection. However this
is not really interesting, as no geometry or so is changed, nor created.

Do I do something wrong? Does that help already, or are you seeking for
more?

        Theodor

What I really need is code which loads up the LineMerger with a specific
input which will exhibit the error.  Perhaps this is possible by using
the same input that you have in your images, or by using some other dataset.