Quantcast

Need Guidance on Modifying Polygons

ayc

Need Guidance on Modifying Polygons

ayc
Hello All,

I'm a beginner at GIS programs and I need some help. I'm trying to create a
program where I can morph the size of the states, countries. For example, I
want to make the area of California 3x bigger and Nevada 2x smaller, yet
keeping the border between California and Nevada intact so there are no
spaces. (The border between CA and NV would be 1x bigger).

I would read in a CVS and match with each Feature string name, a ratio that
I would apply to modify the corresponding polygon of that feature. I would
then modify a certain sides of a polygon to make them bigger and smaller.

Is this a good way to do it or is there a better way to go about it?
Also is there any good tutorials on polygon manipulation that you guys would
recommend?
I am awfully sorry about the inexperience in this field,
but Thanks in Advance.

-Andrew

Re: Need Guidance on Modifying Polygons

michaelm-2
Hi,

I have no idea how to solve this problem, but you may have a look at
this project which seems related to this topic :

http://scapetoad.choros.ch/

Michaël

ayc a écrit :

> Hello All,
>
> I'm a beginner at GIS programs and I need some help. I'm trying to create a
> program where I can morph the size of the states, countries. For example, I
> want to make the area of California 3x bigger and Nevada 2x smaller, yet
> keeping the border between California and Nevada intact so there are no
> spaces. (The border between CA and NV would be 1x bigger).
>
> I would read in a CVS and match with each Feature string name, a ratio that
> I would apply to modify the corresponding polygon of that feature. I would
> then modify a certain sides of a polygon to make them bigger and smaller.
>
> Is this a good way to do it or is there a better way to go about it?
> Also is there any good tutorials on polygon manipulation that you guys would
> recommend?
> I am awfully sorry about the inexperience in this field,
> but Thanks in Advance.
>
> -Andrew

Re: Need Guidance on Modifying Polygons

mbedward
2009/9/12 Michaël Michaud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have no idea how to solve this problem, but you may have a look at this
> project which seems related to this topic :
>
> http://scapetoad.choros.ch/

Wow - that looks interesting !  Many thanks for the link.

Andrew, if you try Scape Toad (wonderful name) I'd be very keen to
hear how you go.

Michael
ayc

Re: Need Guidance on Modifying Polygons

ayc
Wow thanks a lot. This is exactly what I need.
The program works beautifully.