Single sided buffer

strk
Hi all,
I'm recently looking at an attempt to implement "single sided buffering"
within GEOS, that is producing offset curves for linear inputs.
REF: http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/215

Did anyone try this in the past ?
Are there plan to provide such functionality in the JTS core?

TIA

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!

Re: Single sided buffer

Jeff Adams-4
Does anyone know if this has ever been ported to java (I.E. added to JTS) or C# (NTS)?

I'm trying to port it to C# right now but am encountering some difficulties since this is a patch to the actual GEOS classes in C++, so it assumes some access to internal variables, and GEOS seems somewhat different from J/NTS in terms of code style (well of course, it's a different language as well).

Jeff

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 10:32 AM, strk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
I'm recently looking at an attempt to implement "single sided buffering"
within GEOS, that is producing offset curves for linear inputs.
REF: http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/215

Did anyone try this in the past ?
Are there plan to provide such functionality in the JTS core?

TIA

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!

Jeff Adams
Avencia, Inc.
215-701-7717

Re: Single sided buffer

Sunburned Surveyor
Jeff,

I'm OK with the JTS API and I could help you implement a single-sided
buffer if you are still struggling with it.

The Sunburned Surveyor

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Jeff Adams<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone know if this has ever been ported to java (I.E. added to JTS) or
> C# (NTS)?
>
> I'm trying to port it to C# right now but am encountering some difficulties
> since this is a patch to the actual GEOS classes in C++, so it assumes some
> access to internal variables, and GEOS seems somewhat different from J/NTS
> in terms of code style (well of course, it's a different language as well).
>
> Jeff
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 10:32 AM, strk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I'm recently looking at an attempt to implement "single sided buffering"
>> within GEOS, that is producing offset curves for linear inputs.
>> REF: http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/215
>>
>> Did anyone try this in the past ?
>> Are there plan to provide such functionality in the JTS core?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --strk;
>>
>>  Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
>>  http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!

> Jeff Adams
> Avencia, Inc.
> 215-701-7717

Re: Single sided buffer

Jeff Adams-4
Thanks for the offer.  I wound up making a basic change to my algorithm, so that rather than trying to get all the polygons on one side of my line, I am only interested in the points of those polygons.  It is much easier to check which side of a line a point is on, so I now do a normal buffer and discard the points on the wrong side.

Jeff

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Sunburned Surveyor <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jeff,

I'm OK with the JTS API and I could help you implement a single-sided
buffer if you are still struggling with it.

The Sunburned Surveyor

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Jeff Adams<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does anyone know if this has ever been ported to java (I.E. added to JTS) or
> C# (NTS)?
>
> I'm trying to port it to C# right now but am encountering some difficulties
> since this is a patch to the actual GEOS classes in C++, so it assumes some
> access to internal variables, and GEOS seems somewhat different from J/NTS
> in terms of code style (well of course, it's a different language as well).
>
> Jeff
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 10:32 AM, strk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I'm recently looking at an attempt to implement "single sided buffering"
>> within GEOS, that is producing offset curves for linear inputs.
>> REF: http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/215
>>
>> Did anyone try this in the past ?
>> Are there plan to provide such functionality in the JTS core?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --strk;
>>
>>  Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
>>  http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!

> Jeff Adams
> Avencia, Inc.
> 215-701-7717