Quantcast

US postal code simplification with JTS

Doug Smith-3

Hi JTS-ers,

I just posted a writeup on the process we used to simplify all of the postal code polygons in the USA, thanks in large part to JTS. If you're interested, check it out here:

http://webmonkeyswithlaserbeams.wordpress.com/

Special thanks to Martin for his insightful responses to my questions on this list.

Doug

---

Doug Smith

ELP Web Developer

http://www.daveramsey.com

"Life is an occasion, rise to it" -- Mr. Magorium

Re: US postal code simplification with JTS

Martin Davis
Nice writeup, Doug - thanks!

It sounds like you're using a 64-bit JVM - right? Any issues with that?
I haven't been able to try large memory sizes with JTS - but it seems
like it would allow much larger processes to be carried out.

Doug Smith wrote:

> Hi JTS-ers,
>

> I just posted a writeup on the process we used to simplify all of the
> postal code polygons in the USA, thanks in large part to JTS. If
> you're interested, check it out here:
>

> http://webmonkeyswithlaserbeams.wordpress.com/
>

> Special thanks to Martin for his insightful responses to my questions
> on this list.
>

> Doug
>
> ---
>
> Doug Smith
>
> ELP Web Developer
>
> http://www.daveramsey.com
>

> "Life is an occasion, rise to it" -- Mr. Magorium

RE: US postal code simplification with JTS

Doug Smith-3
Yes, this is the JVM I'm running:

C:\>java -version
java version "1.6.0_11"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0-b16, mixed mode)

I haven't had any problems with it, but I've only had this machine (Dell
Precision T3400, Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, XP Pro x64) for a couple months.
It's been really cool to have 8GB of RAM, and this process obviously
wouldn't have been possible without it.

Thanks,

Doug