Quantcast

book on JTS

Stefan Steiniger
Hei Martin,

well.. doesn't need to be O'Reily. It could be also published with one
of the smaller publishers or as self publisher, i.e.
- lulu.com (publish on your own)
or one of the publishers used by
- Regina Obe for the PostGIS book (http://www.manning.com/obe/ )
- Gary Sherman for the "QGIS book"
(http://www.pragprog.com/titles/gsdgis/desktop-gis)

and you may even get a bit help from us? (Michael Michaud and David
Zwiers are probably one of the true other experts in using JTS)

However, for now, it may still be worthwhile to point people to your
2007 presentation (although some of the newer stuff is not mentioned):

http://jump-pilot.sourceforge.net/pdfs/jts_secrets_foss4g2007.pdf

mhm.. I wonder, wasn't there a doc on JTS that came with JUMP once (that
described also the test suite for the intersection model)?

thanks for all your work
stefan

Re: book on JTS

Martin Davis
Stefan, thanks for the reminder about the JTS presentation. I'll add it
to the JTS web site that I maintain
(http://tsusiatsoftware.net/jts/main.html)

I'll have a look for the test suite doc - it might be of interest to
some people.

And yes, there's lots of potential publishers.  I really need to have a
partner to work with though - it's a huge job putting together a book,
from what I've heard from other authors.  And I still have a day job...
and a young child to look after!

Martin

Stefan Steiniger wrote:

> Hei Martin,
>
> well.. doesn't need to be O'Reily. It could be also published with one
> of the smaller publishers or as self publisher, i.e.
> - lulu.com (publish on your own)
> or one of the publishers used by
> - Regina Obe for the PostGIS book (http://www.manning.com/obe/ )
> - Gary Sherman for the "QGIS book"
> (http://www.pragprog.com/titles/gsdgis/desktop-gis)
>
> and you may even get a bit help from us? (Michael Michaud and David
> Zwiers are probably one of the true other experts in using JTS)
>
> However, for now, it may still be worthwhile to point people to your
> 2007 presentation (although some of the newer stuff is not mentioned):
>
> http://jump-pilot.sourceforge.net/pdfs/jts_secrets_foss4g2007.pdf
>
> mhm.. I wonder, wasn't there a doc on JTS that came with JUMP once
> (that described also the test suite for the intersection model)?
>

> thanks for all your work
> stefan

Re: book on JTS

Stefan Steiniger
sorry I get the emails in batch mode, thats why I opened a new thread
too (didn't know about yours at that time).

However, in terms of helping to
- get a general structure for such book,
- developing common use cases (experiences with OJ), and for
- reading/editing/making figures (with OJ and Illustrator)
I would offer my help, although you know I am far away from being a
computational geometry expert, and are not sure how much free time I
will have between Jan and April and after (will teach a GIS II class for
the first time).
Ask me if you need feedback - worst answer would be that I don't have
time at the moment.

stefan